- About Us
Instructions for Submitting a Manuscript to the Journal of Forensic Identification
Check your manuscript
- Is your manuscript organized into standard sections (i.e., introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusion)?
- Have you prepared a brief abstract (maximum 250 words) that summarizes the manuscript and includes the main results?
- Have graphs, tables, and artwork been mentioned in the body of the manuscript and sequentially numbered? Example: "... a significant amount of third-level detail (Figure 1)".
- Are there captions for all graphs, tables, and artwork?
- Have your references been sequentially cited in the text? Example: "...several studies [1-4] show...".
- Have you checked your references for accuracy and complete information?
- Have you had someone who was not involved in the writing of the manuscript proofread it and provide suggestions?
- Has permission to publish been obtained for all images that are not original works by the author?
- Has permission to reprint been obtained for all images that have been previously published?
Prepare your manuscript documents
Your manuscript must be separated into the applicable following component documents:
- Title Page (list up to five authors and their respective agencies that are to be on the byline). The names should be listed as they should appear (e.g., John Q. Doe, or John Doe). No titles, degrees, or certifications are permitted on the byline.
- Abstract (it will need to be cut and pasted into an online form during the submission process).
- Manuscript (do not include the title page, abstract, tables, figures, graphs, captions, or an acknowledgment section). Only Word, Wordperfect, RTF, and text files are acceptable. Please set line spacing to double spacing and line numbering to continuous.
- Tables (do not submit as an image; they must be in a Word or Wordperfect format).
- Figures (including all artwork, drawings, photographs) must be submitted in a JPEG or TIFF format.
- Graphs must be submitted as image files (e.g., JPEG or TIFF formats).
- One list of captions for tables, graphs, and figures.
- Acknowledgment section (if needed).
A manuscript with no figures, tables, or graphs will require a minimum of three separate documents for uploading: the title page, manuscript, and authorization form(s). The text of the abstract will be pasted into an online form.
Prepare the required documentation (authorization to publish form)
Download and complete the authorization to publish form; each author who is to be listed on the byline must signed a completed form. Each completed forms must be scanned as a pdf or image file. The signed forms will be required at the time of submission.
- JFI FAQ
- JFI Publication Guidelines
- JFI Authorization to Publish Form
- JFI Human Subjects Protection Policy
- Editorial Manager Tutorial for Authors (step-by-step guidance for author registration and manuscript submission.)
- JFI Guidelines for Reviewers